Friday, September 11, 2009

A Doubly Whammy!


This past Tuesday, I had four interviews.
In between interview’s #3 and #4, I had an hour to kill as I walked from East 58th street to West 58th Street. As I was looking to a nice place to sit, I saw a whole group of trucks down the street. That many trucks can only mean one thing in New York City- filming.
Armed with 50 copies of my resume and with the air of professionalism that only an interview suit and heels can provide, I quickly headed over to the set. And suddenly, there, 10 feet in front of me, the four Sex and the City girls in their Manolo’s were filming the sequel: Sex and The City 2. Carrie, Samantha, Miranda, and Charlotte. And of course, don’t forget the thousands of women trying to fight their way to the front and take pictures on their camera phones.
While at first I too was giddy with excitement and reaching into my pocket for my phone, I quickly caught myself. Think! Now is the time! Be professional. Get a job!
So instead of walking in towards the set, I started walking in a large circle around the perimeter of the set. I walked up to everyone I saw wearing a headset and politely said, “Excuse me, I’m sorry to bother you but if you need a PA (Production Assistant), here’s my resume.” I then handed them a resume, smiled, and walked away.
I did that to about 20 people. All in headsets and working on the film. Most of them gave me confused looks, and then appreciative smiles. Some just stayed confused. But they all took my resume.
As I was finishing my circuit, they stopped filming and the crowd dispersed. So I continued on my way, going west down 58th street. I was looking at my phone, texting people about my brush with fame, when I felt a hand on my back. I turned around and realized I was walking next to Cynthia Nixon, and our arms were brushing against each other so her bodyguard was trying to move me away. I quickly apologized and explained that I didn’t even realize and I was just on my way to an interview. As we continued to walk side-by-side, the voices inside me began to debate.


“You have to say something! You shouldn’t say anything! But you have to say something! No don’t bother her!”


I looked up at her and quietly said, “I’m sorry about this crowd, I cannot imagine how annoying that must be for you.” She half smiled in acknowledgment. I went back to staring straight ahead and realized that the woman walking in front of me whose shoes I was trying hard not to step on was Kristin Davis. I try and control my excitement. As we reached their trailers there was a whole new slew of crew members in headsets, and as Cynthia Nixon looked on, I handed my resume to a woman with a badge, and offered my services as a Production Assistant. She looked at me with admiration and said, “I just do make up. But right over there, that blond woman? She’s one of the directors. She’s the one you want to talk to.” And together we marched up to the woman, and one more time I gave my spiel. “Sorry to bother you but if you need a PA…” She was caught off guard but appreciative with a genuine “Ok thanks!” that drew a loud “Good for you!” in my direction from the makeup woman.
And on that high, I kept walking towards my next interview.




At the end of the day, when all of the interviews were finally over, I took the subway uptown to my cousin’s apartment. I walked out of the 86th Street station and headed west over to West End Avenue. Right away, I see another truck full of lighting equipment. Still on a high from my celebrity encounter, I brazenly go up into the back of the truck and ask the man moving equipment what they are filming. “Law and Order” is his reply. I again reach for my resume, and explain that I am looking for a position as a Production Assistant. I then discover that he is the lighting director, and we end up chatting for a bit about working on Law and Order, sports, and lighting. Finally he says, ‘you really want to work on Law and Order? I’m telling you, the hours are terrible.” I must have convinced him that I did and he said, “Ok, well then come with me, I’ll introduce you to the director.”
And so he did. He introduced me to the director, the assistants, the rest of the crew, and some of the cast. I gave out resumes until I had none left in my bag.

All in all, it was a very exciting day.

Oh yea, and then on Wednesday, I saw Matt Damon walking by me on the street. I waved. He smiled and head nodded back. It was glorious. I didn't give him my resume. Less because I didn't want to bother him, more because I thought he would get mad.


1 comment:

  1. Wow.. that is cool.. and very smart of you to carry your updated resume along, everywhere there is an opportunity and you seized one that day. Very few of us have that insight and am sure you will see some good results someday somewhere ..
    To be alert and ready to seize any opportunity is the call of the times and THE smart move to get that job. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete