Friday, November 13, 2009

Why howling at the moon probably won’t get you a job.




This is a story probably unlike one you have ever heard before. And it starts on a typical Tuesday morning. During my internship interview week, I raced about the city taking full advantage of my 30 day unlimited metro card. During that time, I had a few unusual experiences, met a few unusual people, and leaned about a few unusual places to work. But there is one in particular that stands out.
I entered the production company in SoHo whose name I will keep to myself. The whole building was filled with the air of ‘we are hipsters who have money- and we shop at Urban Outfitters’. Still though, those people are cool, and so I was pleased with my surroundings as I sat down in the waiting room after giving the receptionist my name. Once again, I was the first person being interviewed for the position. But this time, I don’t think that had any effect on my getting the job. After a few minutes of waiting, and eavesdropping on the conversations happening all in around me in the office, I surmised that this was the type of place where coworkers are friends- meaning, they all clearly hang out together after work. I’m all for that. Don’t necessarily need it, but hey, creates a great work environment. Finally, I was called in to meet with the head of the production department in a glass conference room in the back of the lobby.
I wish I could draw an actual diagram for you right now, but I guess you will have to use your imaginations.
There were three glass walls to the conference room, and the fourth wall was the exterior wall- it had windows in it looking out onto the street. I sat facing the window, with the glass wall behind me, and behind that- the lobby of the office. My interviewer sat with her back to the window, looking at me and through the glass walls into the lobby behind me.
She started off the interview with the usual going through my resume and explaining the details of the company and the specifics of the position I was applying for. It was when the conversation gets interesting and we talk a little bit about me and how I ended up in her office, that her attention began to drift. I noticed that she was no longer looking at me, but taking long glances over my shoulder until finally, she smiled, waved, and then turned her attention back to me and apologized. She explained that some of her subordinates realized re was interviewing someone new, and were trying to make her laugh by making faces through the glass wall behind me. I chuckled and we laughed about having a fun office and company pranks and the like.
I then continued my spiel about why I was uniquely the perfect person for the job and I realized that I had lost her again. But this time, it was not discreet. She suddenly yelped, squealed with laughter, and ran by my left shoulder out the glass doors and started chasing another mid-30s man around the receptionist’s area beating on him with my rolled up resume.
After another few laps around the reception desk, she panted back into the room laughing. She said, “I probably shouldn’t tell you this, so unprofessional, but well, he just mooned me!” Then it got better. “I was totally in control of myself and ignoring it but then he started doing squats against the glass wall and well, I lost it.”
I went with it. I laughed, showing that I was cool with public nudity, and was totally in for being fun and absurd among office friends. But I had lost her attention completely. So even though I sent her a thank you note making light of the mooning incident, I think that either she was too embarrassed by the episode to actually hire me, or she couldn’t remember anything about me because the image of some man’s hairy buttocks was branded onto her brain.

1 comment:

  1. Just saying, I wrote a blog while interning in NYC entitled "How do you spell Eavesdropping?" You spelled it right.

    ReplyDelete