Tuesday, August 25, 2009

The Art Of Networking


I follow up with every networking opportunity that I get. I keep my resume in my coat pockets, purse, backpack, and laptop case. I even have some folded up copies in the back pockets of my favorite jeans. You never know where you might meet someone, who might lead you to that next someone, who might have an cousin somewhere, who used to work for someone, who will eventually offer you a job. Or when you bump into that random person on the subway, and it turns out they are the executive producer of Oprah’s show (that hasn’t happened…..yet). How much more memorable and impressive are you when after making that connection, you are able to whip out a copy of your resume right then and there, and exchange it for their business card?

So I’ve got everyone I know on the prowl for connections. My entire extended family, worldwide, has a copy of my resume. Countless relatives of each of my roommates, parents and coworkers of my elementary school classmates, and every previous employer and supervisor of mine have copies with the instructions: forward it like it’s hot.

So about 7 months ago, my aunt tells me she has a friend, and that friend’s neighbor is a big name at CBS Sports. Forward it like it’s hot. I get in touch with the friend, the friend gets in touch with the neighbor, and soon after, I am personally emailing an executive at CBS Sports. He is very nice, and tells me that he is passing along my resume to his coworkers.

Four months later, I get a call for an interview at CBS Sports in New York City.

I also have a cousin who works at the deli where Stephen Colbert buys his lunches. Now if only I can get him to start wrapping those sandwiches in my resume….

2 comments:

  1. I'm a first-time reader leaving a comment.

    I'm not sure what field you're in, but as I understand it, you've sent out 3000 resumes and haven't found a job yet. That implies that something isn't working.

    Is pushing resumes really the only way for you to get a job in your field?

    I'll return to your blog to follow your story and see if you responded to this comment. Which I know you will, because that's networking :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking for a job in television production, although I have expanded to include anything related to television and/or production. I have submitted to many a job posting, networked with anyone I can think of, and of course- sent my resumes out blindly.
    But I am open to suggestions!!!
    If you can think of another way besides 'pushing resumes' and applying to jobs on every career posting site there is (including craigslist- but also searching every networks website for their own careers page) then please let me know!!!
    As I have said, I am open to exploring every avenue. And no matter how creative I try to be, I am certain there are some things I haven't tried yet.
    And stay tuned. If you have an idea- I guarantee I will follow up with it, and then write about it here!

    ReplyDelete