Saturday, August 22, 2009

My grand plan to infiltrate into 30 Rockefeller Plaza: Late Night with Conan O'Brien


Now this story isn’t nearly as good as some of the others, but like the others, it is all true, and therefore deserves a place on the mantel of weird things to do to get a job.
After I found out about getting tickets for the comedy central shows, I started looking up tickets for other shows as well. I found that for tickets to Late Night with Conan O'Brien, all you had to do was call a hotline. I assumed it would be an automated service, so of course, I called it. Moments later, I was surprised to find myself chatting with the guy on the other end about Conan and Jimmy Fallon, and all the drama going on with that. For my own amusement, I was talking about both Conan and Jimmy on a first name basis, and the guy was full of helpful information.
After I hung up, I quickly launched my plan. I would wait a few days, and then call back- but this time, with different intentions.

The second time when I called, I apologized and said that I was just accidentally transferred there, and I was in the middle of leaving a message for Conan’s booking people. To my shock, he transferred me. More lies and more lies spilled out of my mouth, ‘was just talking to Suzy in HR’ ‘got disconnected from Tim in the booking office’ ‘was trying to leave a message about next weeks bit with Starbucks with the Executive Assistant’ until finally, I left a voicemail on as close as I could get to Conan’s personal machine.

Now, if one got the chance to leave a message for Conan, what would you say? Mine went something like this:
Hi, my name is _____ ______, great show last night (insert specific reference here). I am graduating from college this year and I am looking for a job on your show. I have mailed you my resume and emailed you all of my information. I am just letting you know to look out for me, and to let you know exactly how to reach me. (I left him my cell number and email address.) Thank you for your time and I look forward to being in touch.
At least, I'm pretty sure that is how it went. It is always hard to remember exactly what one says to an answering machine. It all goes by so fast.

1 comment:

  1. Oh....Em....Gee!! You crazy crazy man! I would have left a message but one much more frantic. I got to give him a quick hug at his rally outside of NBC but barely got to speak a sentence so I don't count it as meeting him. It sounds like youre a good ally for me to have on my quest to meet and pitch my show to the man Barbarian himself!

    ReplyDelete