Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Damn you Canceled Daytime Soaps


Lets see, I think I sent out my first job feelers in October, 2008. By November, I was sending like crazy. By December, I had already emailed the entire HBO community. But when did I get my first interview? That wasn't until May 11th. I remember it clearly.....
It was the last official day of my internship at a production company in Silver Spring, Maryland. As I finished up the last of my projects, I saw that lovely little (1) next to the red and white envelope in my minimized gmail window. I opened it up, and there read the subject line: job interview at One Life To Live. Very nonchalant. Well, at that point, I didn't have a clue what One Life to Live was, but I saw 'job' and 'interview', and a quick check at the senders address showed that it had indeed come from someone@abc.com. Very exciting.

A quick forward to my parents made me realize that not only were they also excited, but they could not mask the huge sigh of relief they were feeling even in their typed responses.
Now some of you might be impressed with my achieving such a feat, actually getting an interview at ABC. The rest of you might not care. Still though, to those ever-hopeful-for-themselves readers out there, let me tell you how I got this interview. Because while its true what they say, that it's 'who you know', they don't mention how well you have to know them.

My father is a scientist. Yes, I know, very interesting, but not the point of the story. So my dad is a scientist, and back in February, a scientist from somewhere else in the U.S. came in to visit my father's lab and discuss potentially collaborating on some experiments. This guy came to visit for a few days, and at some point over a nice afternoon of microscopes, my dad happened to mention that I was graduating college and looking for a job in the world of television. Now I think this guy is from somewhere in Colorado, but it turns out that he and his wife lived in New York until about 10 years ago. And what did his wife do in New York? She worked on the soap opera, One Life To Live. So experiments were collaborated, data was shared, hypotheses were made, and resumes were sent around. Without having met me or my father, this woman sent my resume and her recommendation to the staff at One Life to Live, and 3 months later- they email me for an interview.

How nice is that?

Well, I dropped everything (my senior thesis, my last class) and I jumped onto a bus to New York that Wednesday night. I crashed at a friends apartment, laid out my interview suit, and got up at 6 am that morning to give myself plenty of time to prepare. I got there an hour early and sat in a Starbucks around the corner to read all of the information I could print out about ABC, soap opera's, and One Life To Live.

Now while some people might disagree, I am going to fill you in on something I learned from this interview. It is not good to be the first person interviewed for a position. Some people might argue that 'everyone remembers their first' and while perhaps that is true in some cases, I don't think it works to your advantage in the interview process. For starters, the interviewers learn better what they are looking for and what questions to ask after they have met with a few potential employees. When you are the first interviewee, the interviewer is almost practicing on you. It takes them a few tries before they even realize what the important questions to ask are.

Well, I was the first person interviewed for the Associate Producer position for One Life to Live. The senior producer who interviewed me told me that she contacted me when she discovered the opening, but that company policy forces them to also post the position online. She told me that within 24 hours of it appearing on the ABC website, they had over 400 applicants. And of course, since she contacted me beforehand, I was the first interview. Still though, it went well. We had a good repertoire, she was impressed with my resume, she introduced me to other members of the production team, and had me meet with the Human Resources Department.

The day after the interview, I sent thank you emails to all of the people I had met with and the original connection. A few days later, I also mailed out handwritten thank you cards to both my interviewer, and the woman I met with in HR.

And then again, it was waiting time. So now while I was waiting, ever hopeful, something else that I could not have anticipated was working against me. "What could it be?!", you might be asking yourself. Well folks, this is when we started blaming the economy again. But not in the same way that everyone else is blaming everything that sucks in their lives on the government. No, this was just plain bad luck too.

The week after my interview with One Life to Live, ABC's premier soap opera, The Guiding Light, CBS's big soap, was canceled. So guess who took my entry level $25000 contract for the lowest position at One Life To Live? The senior producer from The Guiding Light, who couldn't find another job.

No comments:

Post a Comment