Friday, August 7, 2009

Post Graduation Unemployment- The Same Story You've Heard 400 Times Before.



Yea................no.

I am not like all of those other graduates suddenly paying for health insurance and wishing I spent more time reading Obama's health care plan before jumping on his social media bandwagon.
I could complain to you about every conversation I have with any adult which basically embarrasses me, makes me feel small about myself, reminds me that I'll never be a success and basically announces to the world that I desperately need help getting a job.
But instead, I am going to prove to you why I am different. And while I still don't have a job, I blame that entirely on the economy. It is through no fault of my own.
After the NBC Page Program fell through (and don't worry, I have resubmitted and will keep doing so until they give me another chance), I didn't mope around. The difference between me and all these other unemployed Bachelor's degrees, is that I have done everything to make myself, well, I am going to use the word: unique.
In addition to applying for every job on craigslist, mediabistro, media-match, and joining Linkedin- I have done every absurd thing imaginable to get my resume into the right hands.
If there is something I haven't thought of, I encourage you to post it below.
The following is a list of some of the craziest things I have to get my dream job.

I found an email address for an employee at HBO. The email address was Firstname.Lastname at hbo.com. I then googled at hbo.com and found 6 other employee email addresses, all Firstname.Lastname at hbo.com. I then decided to use this formula, and apply it to any HBO employee that I could find. I searched the HBO website, I checked the IMDB pages, I found the name of every crew member on every HBO show. By the end, the list was comprised of hundreds of names, some as normal as Susan.Fletcher at hbo.com, and others stretching to Jeremy.Piven at hbo.com. I am certain I even sent one to Mark.Wahlberg at hbo.com. And at that point, I though, 'what the hell', so I sent one to Ed.Burns at hbo.com, Eddie.Burns at hbo.com, Eddy.Burns at hbo.com, and Edward.Burns at hbo.com.

I sent out hundreds of these emails. For the next hour, my gmail was flooded with responses from Mail Delivery Subsystem:

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification

Delivery to the following recipient failed permanently.

But more than a few of them were real. And a few of those even responded. However, the best they could do was give me the email address for the Human Resources Dept, which is clearly listed on their website.


No comments:

Post a Comment