Sunday, August 9, 2009

Email Frenzy (Have I mentioned I'm a Gmail Ninja Master?)

Holy Shit!
Gmail Ninja

And to prove it, addition to linking my posts with hilarity and explanations, I am going to illustrate this one with the use of gmail emoticons. Oh please, hold your applause!

After the HBO mailing, I decided to blindly email where no one might have emailed before . And so, I searched the email addresses for every channel: from NBC to BET, from FX to The Food Network, from Showtime to the CW, from A&E to CNN.

Then I went on and searched every network, production company, news station, talent agency, marketing firm, advertising video department, tv station, casting agency in the New York area for email addresses.

I changed my cover letterto be as particular as possible for each one, and I sent out my resume.
Sent it it like it's hot .

I then went to a seminar on getting a job in this economy. Like it would help me. Or suddenly provide me with the answer. Perhaps a beacon of light would fall over the one email address I really needed to send to, or the answer would be sung to me by ghosts in my sleep (oooooooooooooo marrrryriiich oooooooooooooooo). Needless to say, it did none of the above and I still don't have a job. But they did open my eyes to another outlet. They said, anyone can email in a resume. It comes in as an attachment and unless you really grab their eyes, they are not going to open it. But when was the last time you were in an office? How often does the fax machine ring? Almost never. Who still sends faxes? Find the fax numbers in the office. Fax them your cover letter and resume. And when someone in the office hears the fax ring, theyll think: that's weird, whats this? And when they pick it up , they will be forced to read it to figure out what it is. Then you already have their attention.
You can guess what I did next.
I found the fax numbers. I sent out my cover letter and resume . I faxed like it was hot . (And when the paper spews out the other side, sometimes it is hot .)

2 comments:

  1. Honey, you're cluless.

    Absolutely clueless.

    I hope for your sake, and for the sake of the job-seekers that are enticed to these nuisance tactics through this blog, that you realize that you've failed thus far not because of only your methods, but, most likely, your cover letter and resume.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I knew when writing a blog that I would get some comments like this- and I must say, I appreciate it. Thank you for reading.

    But: I do not fill these emails with viruses, I do not send resumes in envelopes stuffed with glitter, and I do not force anyone to meet with me.

    When you are one of thousands applying for a single position, how should you make yourself stand out? I know I am competing against people with better connections, but I know that I can do these jobs well. If given the chance, I know I can surpass expectations.

    I spent half of my college career devoted to unpaid internships to build up my resume and give me the experiences to make myself worthy of such a job. I created my own Bachelors degree to focus on my interests, and successfully completed a senior thesis presenting my initiative and education. My cover letter and resume have both been examined by numerous advisers, career counselors, and co-workers, and unless there is some spelling mistake that we have all missed, I don’t think there is anything in them that would make someone instantly throw them away.

    But I do believe there is always room for improvement. I ask you then, how do YOU think I should go about my job search?

    ReplyDelete