Thursday, August 13, 2009

You Turned Down A Job....in this economy?!!?


Now re-read this post's title in Fran Drescher's voice from The Nanny. Better?
It's a work in progress.
Well reader(s?), I dare say it's true. Only, the job was really just an unpaid internship. That they have conveniently retitled: an entry level position.
Which brings me to a point that I have been trying to hold in. Since when is it ok to not pay people for real full time jobs just by calling it an ‘internship’?
Exhibit A**:
“Intern needed for film production and finance company based in New York. Responsibilities include answering phones, writing script coverage, and general office duties. College students or recent grads preferred. The position is unpaid, but hours and dates are flexible.”
First off, I would like to point out that not only do they want someone to come into their office and be their receptionist/gopher bitch, but they want someone to actually apply for the privilege to do it for free. While I would understand if this was a minimum wage job (being as a trained chimp could perform it) to vie for the opportunity is even slightly demeaning. All the more so if you just graduated with a Bachelor's degree, and you have just invested hundreds of thousands of dollars in a college education.

Now I sent my resume to these people. They called immediately for an interview. And why wouldn't they? My resume is awesome, and they aren't going to pay me shit. After some prodding questions, I got them to admit that by 'hours and dates are flexible' they really meant, we can't give you a contract because we can't pay you, but we still want you to verbally commit to working for us a full five days a week.

So even though my semi-supportive parents are not going to let me take a fake job full time, who am I to turn down an interview? Well, my grandfather got wind of this and let me know in a very slow, carefully prepared fashion that ones value to a company, is determined by the amount they pay you. And therefore if I 'interned' for free, I was worth nothing. His words, not mine. Truth be told, I had heard this speech from him every time I had an unpaid internship in college (7 times) and each of those times, I argued with him about 'getting credit' and 'gaining experience'. Although it pains me to admit it, this time he is absolutely 100% right. While I do not think I am worthless, I do feel (quite strongly) that I have paid my unpaid intern debt to society. The things I have done for these internships...but more on that later. And stay tuned- because those stories are go-ood.


**This is not the job I turned down. The job I turned down was an unpaid position at an art gallery. Within 15 minutes of the phone interview, my interviewer offered me the position. How good of an interviewer must I be in order to translate my love for television into a study of visual digital art?

1 comment:

  1. I would like to quickly add, being as it seems I have offended a few readers by not leaping at the chance for even an unpaid internship, that it was a good decision to do so. If I am going to accept an unpaid internship, I would rather accept one in a field/company that I would like to actually involve myself in. The offer I turned down was for a place at which I have no desire for even a potential future. And I am lucky to have 6 more interviews set up for unpaid positions at places where I would at least value the experience, and hope to gain something to help me in my future endeavors.

    ReplyDelete