Tuesday, August 4, 2009

The NBC Page Program


In November 2008, I suddenly realized that Kenneth the Page, on NBC’s 30 Rock, was not a completely fictional character. While someone over the age of 19 who still believes in a witch who comes after you when you don’t eat your vegetables probably doesn’t exist anywhere, the Page position at NBC is just as coveted as Kenneth’s NBC Page jacket in the game of poker with Jack Donaghy. With over seven THOUSAND applicants for a mere 60 spots, the chances of getting into the NBC Page Program are about as likely as your boob falling out of your top while on TV in the middle of the Superbowl. So about one. But actually, the stats prove that it is less likely to be chosen to wear a dorky suit, give tours of a glorified office building, and get the chance to usher people into their seats for a show, than to be a qualified candidate getting into Harvard Medical School. What does one learn from that statistic? Be a doctor; because your dreams of getting coffee for a GE executive are never gonna happen. Still though, one cant crush a dreamer with numbers, and I decided to become Kenneth the Page. Only a shorter, wiser, more awesome one.
My first step to becoming the next best friend to idol Tina Fey, was to find the job description and application for the NBC Page Program on the World Wide Web. It wasn’t too hard. After I read the three paragraphs explaining the program and realizing that all of my prayers had just been answered, I left the tabs open on my laptop for two weeks. It was already a moment of great accomplishment- finding something that I actually wanted to apply for, a goal for something to look forward to in my life after college.
I then discovered that my roommate’s friend’s sister had once been an NBC Page. Swish right?
I emailed the distant connection and soon set up a phone call. At the designated time, I called her, and then proceeded to have a glorious hour and a half conversation with the person who I was certain was my foot in the door. She helped me with my cover letter, passed my name around to some hiring people, and convinced me that if she could do it, anyone can.

Before I continue, I would like to take a quick moment to explain what the process entails for becoming an NBC Page.
First: you submit your resume, cover letter, and basic information online, basically requesting to be considered and applicant.
Second: they either acknowledge that you applied and inform you that they will eventually contact you regarding the next step, or you just never hear from them again.
Third: if allowed to continue, you are given a time to complete the Email Screen, a fancy way of wording: online questionnaire, within an hours time.
Fourth: if you pass ‘the screen’ you are invited up for an interview. You then meet with a few different members of the NBC team who do their best to make you wet yourself
Fifth: if you have survived the interviews and you have brought a change of clothes, you ate submitted into the well of death, that is- the group interview. There, they force you to compete with the other applicants while pretending to work as a team.
And if you do all of that correctly, and Jerry Seinfeld owes your father a huge favor, the might let you work at the lowliest position NBC has to offer.

So after hanging up on a high note that the first job I was looking into was almost guaranteed to be perfect for me, I submitted my information to the Page Program.
Then it was waiting time.

17 comments:

  1. Are you still a Page?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep reading my friend, I didn't even make it there.
    But don't be discouraged! If I still have good spirits, then there is hope for anyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What does a Page at NBC likely make in a year? $$$

    ReplyDelete
  4. pages are not paid

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pages get $10/hour

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you apply to the East Coast or West Coast Page Program? I interviewed for the West Coast Page Program. Still waiting. They don't have a group interview now but they hire even fewer people because of the bad economy?

    ReplyDelete
  7. pages absolutely get paid. not much, but they do.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was a page from 1964-5. I met a fraternity brother from college in the elevator on my way to personnel. He told me this was a deadend and took me to meet his boss. A phone call a few minutes later to personnel and I was hired. It was the most fun job I ever had. I trained to be a combination tou guide and page. The world's fair was in New York at that time and I was able to work seven days a week giving tours as it was very popular. I needed it to supplement the minimum wage. Yu can only be a page for 18 months. During that time you eher moved up to a permanent job opening if there was one or automatically resigned. I got a job with WNBC radio as a production assistant and moved on from there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to be a page so bad! I took the NBC studio tour at Rockefeller Center last year, and ever since then I have wanted to work there. I'd do anything, and I wouldn't even need to get paid! It's too bad I'm European :( it seems like you need to be a US citizen to apply for the program.

    ReplyDelete
  10. NOT A CITIZEN, JUST AUTHORIZED TO WORK IN THE USA.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what do they look for in your cover letter/background?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Does the page program contact your school for your transcripts?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was a page from 1995-1996. Best Year of my Life. Made the best friends. Worked on SNL when Will Ferrell and Molly Shannon made headlines. Worked for Conan O'Brien and the NBC Marketing Department. Go for it. Its the best time EVER!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does NBCUniversal mostly select graduates from "Ivy League" universities such as Harvard, Yale, NYU, Brown, UCLA or USC? Basically are you out of luck if you attended a state school?

      Delete
  14. Does NBCUniversal only select graduates from prestigious universities such as Harvard, Yale, NYU, Brown, UCLA or USC? Basically are you out of luck if you attended a lower tiered university?

    ReplyDelete